It’s easier than ever to purchase cheap calories—ramen noodles, macaroni and cheese, processed treats—but tough to consistently acquire nutritious foods on a limited budget.
89% of VEAP households worry sometimes or often they will run out of
food before they have money to buy more
VEAP is committed to providing high quality and nutritious food through our Food & Basic Needs Program because our visitors ask for it! Nutrition is a key component in maintaining health and preventing chronic disease. Strong evidence indicates those affected by food insecurity are at the highest risk for diet-related illnesses. VEAP believes that everyone should have access to healthy foods that are familiar to them. Children perform better in school, adults perform better at work and seniors have their unique nutrition needs met for optimum health.
VEAP emphasizes collecting and distributing:
- Fresh vegetables
- Fresh fruit
- Whole grain products
- Food low in saturated and trans fats
- Food low in sodium
- Lean sources of protein (animal and vegetable sources, canned or frozen)
- Fruit that is minimally processed (canned, frozen, or dried/dehydrated, whole, cut-up or mashed) and 100% vegetable juice
- Products that are high in calcium
- Beverages including 100% fruit juice, skim/low-fat milk, bottled water
- Basic staple foods that tend to provide the best nutrition per dollar
When organizing a Food Drive for VEAP or when simply making a food donation, please consider healthy food choices first.