VEAP is here to support renters in our community during this challenging time. We offer rental assistance grants to individuals living in Bloomington, Richfield, Edina and a portion of South Minneapolis (West of Cedar Ave and South of 50th Street). These funds do not need to be repaid. To request assistance in paying your rent, please carefully read the guidance on this page. For additional questions, visit our Social Services page, including current wait times to receive a call from our team.
Note: The Governor has issued an Eviction Moratorium protecting you from eviction at this time. Please see the Attorney General’s website for details on this protection.
Eligibility for rent assistance
VEAP has multiple sources of funding for our rental assistance program with varying criteria. The following guidelines apply to all funding sources.
Please note: answering “yes” to all of the eligibility guidelines does NOT guarantee rent assistance. A Housing Specialist will complete a full assessment with you over the phone, so please make sure to leave valid contact information when you call us.
VEAP’s service area includes Bloomington, Richfield, Edina, South Minneapolis (within the boundaries of South of 50th Street and West of Cedar Ave). All applicants must live in our service area.
- If you currently live in Richfield, Bloomington, and South Minneapolis, your household income for the past 30 days must fall below 50% of area median income (AMI):
- For residents of Edina, household income for the past 30 days must fall below 60% AMI:
- Must be on a lease in Bloomington, Edina, Richfield, or South Minneapolis (within the boundaries of South of 50th Street and West of Cedar Ave). If you are subleasing, we may still be able to assist but it would require the involvement of the leaseholder.
- Must have an emergency reason for assistance AND lack resources and support to resolve your situation. If you have the resources to pay your rent, please wait to access emergency services until you have a need. Our program is not first-come-first-served.
- Must be willing to give consent for us to speak with your property manager and submit any necessary documentation related to approving you for assistance.
- Rent cannot exceed the following:
Richfield, Bloomington, South Minneapolis:
VEAP does not require proof of citizenship.
How to apply:
Call our main number: 952-888-9616 and follow the prompts. We will follow up with you within 7 business days.
Please make sure the phone number you provide is able to receive incoming calls and the voicemail box is set up and able to receive new messages.
If you do not have a phone but have internet access, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you do not fit in the above basic eligibility criteria, we are still here to help you find ways to resolve your situation. We are counseling people on other resources and benefits. Please call us if you need guidance: 952-888-9616. You can also visit our COVID-19 Resource page.
If you are out of our service area, please contact United Way or your county of residency.
Thank you for your patience as we work to assist people as quickly as we can!